Flying Kiwi II






 



After two years of modification we are now a fully enclosed streamlined sidecar. After 2006 I sought out advise from someone who has designed and run a few streamliners, Kent Riches at AirTech. Together we outlined the "new" Flying Kiwi. The wheel base was lengthened 10 in. and the steering and drive wheels were brought inline, a new steering system and a larger cooling system would be needed. Several issues relating to rider safety would need to be addressed like, a fire system, double roll hoop and related bracing, a firewall, a seat and 9 point harness system, a lexan windscreen and a parachute system. All these changes would be required to fit inside the existing bodywork with minimal modification. Now the challenge is to make it all work and get through technical inspection. Then we will see where were at, will it go straight and steer comfortably? Would the parachute work and not cause instability? I know of no one who had tried it before us.
 2009 would be a big test session for me and the outfit.
Tech didn't go as planned, several deficiencies were found and could not be put right on the salt. So the outfit was made to run without the canopy, at least we could test.  I made a run at a bit over 100mph and popped the chute for the first time with no problems, the steering was light and a bit nervous but not dangerous. We made several more runs at increasing speeds and so far all was going well. However I could only get to 158mph due to the lack of the canopy and running on the short course. All in all I was pleased, but I had some work yet to do and some of it was as of yet undiscovered.
ą
Craig Anderson,
Jul 23, 2009, 9:45 PM
ą
Craig Anderson,
Jul 23, 2009, 9:46 PM
ą
Craig Anderson,
Nov 7, 2010, 8:15 AM
ą
Craig Anderson,
Nov 7, 2010, 8:10 AM
Comments